Backstage video of a real family with finished photos at the end.
Since I introduced Mini Sessions option for my newborn photography services, it has generated a lot of interest. With that I get asked many questions too. I decided to make this educational page for new clients who want to find out more information about newborn mini sessions.
I hope to answer here most of your question and help you to decide between premium and mini newborn session choice.
What is included in Newborn Mini Sessions?
I have done a mini session over a year now. Tested, taken on board advice and have come up with a great way to maximise these sessions.
Mini Session Key Features.
- Around up to 45 min session time.
- Photographing mostly awake babies.
- Maximising session to get nice baby portraits, full body portrait and family portraits. If time allows doing one creative portrait involving a prop set up. (a basket for example)
- Selection and ordering process straight after the session.
- If you would like to bring a sibling, we recommend only from the age of 4+
- Guidelines provided of what to bring/wear
- The studio has it's own car park space.
Examples of newborn baby poses possible during Mini session.
Here is a selection of some simple poses I do during mini sessions. You have to bare in mind that since we have very limited amount of time, not always babies do sleep. Normally newborn mini sessions would be done with awake little ones. That is why you see here mostly awake newborn photos. Pretty much all of these newborn poses possible with awake of a sleep baby. It all depends how settle babies are.
"Armands was very welcoming & his studio was warm, comfortable & in an easily accessible area of Edinburgh. He put babys needs first throughout the session making sure our newborn was kept comfortable at all times. He was also very patient when any little accidents happened!
He was very creative with ideas for different photos & had lots of props available. We were also able to incorporate some of our babies own toys into the photos.
We were able to chose our photos afterwards. Armands was again very helpful, identifying a shortlist but giving us time & space to make our own decisions also.
We would highly recommend A-fotografy for a newborn photoshoot & will definitely go for a another newborn photoshoot if we were to have another baby."
Get in touch to find out about newborn minis availability.
What is the difference between Mini session and Premium newborn session?
- The main difference is the time spent on creating photos. My premium newborn sessions can last up to 4 hours, doing many setups and poses. The mini session will take an hour of photography time to create as many poses as I can.
- Premium sessions give you freedom of exploring various posing possibilities. Getting more complicated setups done. Mini sessions are aimed towards getting simple key images. Great full body images, face close up image, family shots and possibly one set up creative portrait.
- During the mini session, we have an hour to document poses. If your little one is awake we do awake portraits, if sleepy then we will do more posed sleepy images. During premium sessions, you most likely would have both types of images covered.
- Probably one of the more exciting parts about mini sessions is that you will get to see photos straight after the session. This saves us time in editing and also no need to do one more meeting. We would choose your favourite images and choose the appropriate package.
- Light Photo Editing. For Premium sessions there is a lot more skin, blemish editing involved.
- Mini Sessions can't be pre-booked in advance. You would wait till the baby is here and availability would depend on my premium photo sessions.
- The mini session doesn't involve up to the age of 4 siblings and pets. It depends how cooperative is sibling, but generally from age 4 and up is a good shout.
- Mini session digital files are printable up to 8" in the longest edge of the print. Great for keepsake prints. Possibility to upgrade full resolution.
Mini Session Story
" We opted for the mini shoot and after another sleepless night, we arrived bickering and slightly frenetic at Armand's studio. My hair was still wet, having barely managed to shower and the baby despite just feeding for an hour decided this was the moment to wake up. Stepping into Armand's warm, calm studio instantly melted away our concerns. The best description we have is a baby whisperer! William can be a grumpy baby but Armand expertly calmed him, so whilst he was awake, he was compliant. Whilst I quickly dried my hair and applied make up, my husband and Armand got the first few shots of William and then we had our final family shots.
The final photos were lovely and we were absolutely thrilled."
Mini session pricing.
Mini Session pricing is geared towards digital files. However, if you wish to make beautiful wall art, there is an option for that too.
Prepaid session fee is £45. The session fee covers the session time only. Straight after the session, you will see your photos and will be able to choose your favourites at £45 per each image. Minimum purchase of 3 photos required. Families normally choose between 3-7 images. Files will be prepared on the same day and delivered via a downloadable web link.
You will be presented with a gallery of around 15+ portraits and you can purchase the whole gallery in full resolution format for £349
Limited amount of mini sessions.
I would only be able to offer a limited amount of mini sessions per month. Please ask me about availability before you book.
These would be the main newborn session differences.
Feel free to read through my premium newborn session details too. A good way to compare two processes and choose the best for you.